Azahar - Elixir CD (album) cover

ELIXIR

Azahar

Prog Folk

nikow
4 stars First off, let me start by saying that the music on this album is so exciting that you don't really even notice the lack of drums.

Azahar is a band that was unknown to me before I ventured into a music store in Spain and just asked for some prog. This is the album the managed to sell me, and boy, I surely was not disappointed. Without understanding Spanish, I just enjoy the passion and warmthness of the vocals, full of emotion without being too overblown. The guitar playing is also excellent throughout the album, showing some fret burning fast runs now and then, bringing fire into the music and sometimes changing into lush flamenco style guitars.

The real star of the album are the keyboards though, omnipresently always there, painting landscapes made of synth sweeps, piano chords, and string-like sounds.

The melodies are at times pleasantly arabesque, bringing some mystique into the music.

Warmly recommended, 4 stars.

nikow | 4/5 |