Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972  CD (album) cover

Tim Hecker

Progressive Electronic

The Truth
4 stars Tim Hecker's Ravedeath, 1972 is one of the coolest releases this year in terms of originality and quality of the music.

It contains some of the most beautiful ambiance ever recorded (a feat which Mr. Hecker flirted with several years earlier with Harmony In Ultraviolet but didn't quite accomplish) and this fact strikes the listener (or at least me, personally) from the first listen.

It's not rare for an ambient album to really impress me but this one has a certain quality lurking deep within the depths of it's wall of sound that separates it from other albums, a certain voluminous kind of quality that gives the illusion that the ambiance is deeper than our realm of thought.

For that aspect of the music alone, this album is enjoyable for even the most casual listener. Many non-ambient fans will find something in it they had not heard in ones they had tried previously and it may lead to renewed interest in the music. I, certainly, go into an ambient binge every single time I put this album on.

Basically, what the listener gets here is interesting music. Interesting music that gives the listener an inquisitive state of mind that does not come with other records. Although there have been much better ambient records, this one definitely remains unique.

The Truth | 4/5 |