Jordan Rudess - The Road Home CD (album) cover

THE ROAD HOME

Jordan Rudess

Starhammer
3 stars Mapping the journey...

The eighth solo album from virtuoso keyboardist Jordan Rudess.

The Good: This is an album very close to my heart, as it was my personal gateway to the world of Prog. At the time I was obsessed with both Rush and Dream Theater (and had some interest in Camel), but other than that I knew little of what lay 'beneath the surface'. And so, like many people who run out of studio albums to listen to, I decided to investigate the band member's side projects and solo albums.

I had already listened to 'Feeding the Wheel' by Jordan Rudess and so the overall sound on 'The Road Home' felt familiar, what surprised me though was the quality of the compositions. The songs on this album were amazing! I think it was a full week before I noticed in the liner notes that the songwriting was attributed to other musicians. I knew Genesis and Yes from Land of Confusion and Owner of a Lonely Heart, and recognised King Crimson as 'the band that Tony Levin from LTE used to play for', but had never heard of ELP or Gentle Giant. Ah, to be young and naive! These were all bands that had influenced Jordan Rudess in his early years, and so this was a tribute of sorts with an all star line-up including Rod Mogenstein, Neal Morse, Steven Wilson and Nick D'Virgilio.

Nowadays my music collection has grown exponentially in all directions and features over 500 albums from some 200 artists, with the superb track selection on this disc being largely responsible.

The Bad: Despite some new material and interesting artistic interpretation, this is essentially just a 'cover' album and as such I find it hard to consider it an 'excellent addition'.

The Verdict: It certainly doesn't feel like four years.

Starhammer | 3/5 |