Grails - Deep Politics CD (album) cover

DEEP POLITICS

Grails

Psychedelic/Space Rock

toroddfuglesteg
4 stars A rather strange album from a band who has a lot to say.

I am not that used to this kind of music. Music I associate with the likes of Blow Up Hollywood and the new generation of US prog rock bands. Bands whose philosophy is "less is more". Which is exactly what you get on this album. Less is more here. We are not talking cascades of keyboards, bass and guitars. Neither cascades with woodwinds and violins/cellos either. Instead, Grails gives us an album where each instrument and each melody line get the chance to breathe properly. So much than we can feel each heartbeat from the instruments used here. Less is more...... but the result is still a big, dense sound.

The tempo is rather slow and ambient. The songs, all instrumentals, are not immediate accessible. But they creeps up on you and stays there. For me, that is one of the hallmarks of a great album. An album that leaves a mark on the listener. An album not easily forgotten. Yes, I would wish there was some truly excellent songs here. But this is still a great album and one to cherish.

4 stars