Magma - Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh CD (album) cover

MËKANÏK DËSTRUKTÏẁ KÖMMANDÖH

Magma

Zeuhl

toroddfuglesteg
4 stars For me, this is an album that define Magma and zeuhl. Teutonic, repetetive music based on a simple jazzy, funky piano theme broadened out with insane sounding male and female vocals and with added textures added by bass, keyboards, drums, choirs, guitars and flutes. It sounds like a declaration of war against everything sane on this planet. And that's what it is.

This is the third Magma album and for me; the album where Magma really got their sound right. Where their first two albums was much more jazz and fusion orientated, M'kan'k D'strukt'ẁ K'mmand'h is all out zeuhl. If you like this album, you also like zeuhl. Call it the acid test.

A handful of piano themes is developed into a full opera. This is what this album is. It sounds simple. But it is not. M'kan'k D'strukt'ẁ K'mmand'h is a very dense piece of music which confuses the listener and finally; enthralls the listener. It is also a kind of music I am not familiar with and it has taken me a unfamiliar long time to get around to write this review. The digestion period is long when it comes to everything Magma. Their music is a challenge.

I have landed on four stars because M'kan'k D'strukt'ẁ K'mmand'h is a genuine great album. It has some great theatrical moments like every opera have. It also have some pastoral melody lines. It is a massive piece of music which leaves me gasping for air. It also makes me wanting to hear more from this band. Hence my four stars.

4 stars