Peter Sinfield - Still CD (album) cover

STILL

Peter Sinfield

friso
3 stars Pete Sinfield - Still (1973)

This King Crimson related record is the sole album of lyricist Peter Sinfield who wrote the lyrics for the first four Crimson albums, some ELP albums and some Italian progressive rock bands. On this album Sinfield not only writes the lyrics, but also shows his more then reasonable vocal capabilities and he plays 12-string guitar and synth. He also wrote most of the material, being helped by McDonald (also ex-KC), Brunton, Jump and the well-known Mel Collins (who's wind-instrument are a great contribution). The line-up of 'Still' has some recognizable names, to name a few; Greg Lake, Mel Collins, Keith Tippet, Boz, John Wetton and Ian Wallace. Let's face it; this is almost like a King Crimson reunion (albeit without Robert Fripp himself).

With not much written about this album and little knowledge about what to expect I must admit I was seduces by the amazing sleeve and artwork of the record. The painting on the cover (by Salumith Wulfing) 'The Big Friend' is one of the best in my collection.

The result is a symphonic folk album with some compositions leaning towards jazz (think of Cat Food). Sinfield has a high-pitched an vulnerable vocal sound, but his voice sounds quite majestic with the reverbs and symphonic land-scapes. The King Crimson influences are all over the place, mainly the dedicated ballad style (think of I talk to the Wind) and long symphonic chord progressions. 'Still' is however a less confronting record and on songs like 'Will it be you' and 'Wholefood Boogie' there's some space for humor and country vibes. Songs like the opener 'The song of the Sea Goat' (and many more) represent the beauty aspect of the album, which for me is the main attraction. It's all about that majestic symphonic beauty that's so easily disrupted, luckily this album has a nice amount of successful tracks.

Conclusion. A nice album I can recommend to fans of early King Crimson and symphonic folk (with that majestic feel). I think of it as the rightful celebration of Peter Sinfield's lyrics inspiring the whole progressive rock community. Three and a halve stars.

friso | 3/5 |