Leprous - Bilateral CD (album) cover

Leprous

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

SoundsofSeasons
3 stars Updated review - August 2017

I was quite excited with this album when i first purchased it on release, at that time it had been one of the first albums i'd ever pre-ordered. The sophomore release, Tall Poppy Syndrome, was a great album that had introduced me to the band thanks to this website. A short time after discovering the band, this album was soon to be released and my expectations were set high. At the time, i believed that this album had met those expectations, but that was quite a long time ago. I've listened to this album every now and again since then and recently I've given it a real consideration on just how good it really is. At the time i found the album revolutionary, albeit a bit weird and inaccessible. This was mainly due to some of the dance-beat (almost Fallout Boy-like) songs that exist in this strange pseudo-metal album. Really, i think is the least accessible album in their discography thus far. My current issue with this album now is that it is only a sum of its' parts, and i don't mean that as a compliment. Most of the songs just aren't that memorable standing on their own. As a cohesive unit this album holds together well, but run-time as a whole could have been trimmed down some. I get that there are some great ideas here, but they overstay their welcome most of the time with not much room to breathe as the dynamic ranges and tempos don't change all too much from song to song.

On the year this album was released it was an important artistic contribution to experimental prog metal, as well as a chance for the band to step out and try something different. What ultimately came of it, in hindsight, is a little hard to swallow and i find myself enjoying it less now that the novelty of it all has worn off.

As an aside, i find it funny that most of the other reviewers on this site when it first reviewed the album (and gave it a 5 star rating) said that the album was a 'grower', but i myself found that over the years I've actually found it less likable. And, those that rate it more recently feel the same way that i do now.

3.5 Stars.