Abus Dangereux - Happy French Band CD (album) cover

HAPPY FRENCH BAND

Abus Dangereux

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars I had a look at the ratings given and took a deep breathe before submitting this LP to the turnplayer. Reviewing this album is just one of the trials I have to endure as a reviewer here in PA. Pity little me. Then I got a shock. A positive one, that is.

This is the third album from this French band. I really love their first album which is leaning heavily on the likes of Magma and Soft Machine. Happy French Band though is a different beast altogether. But we are still partly stucked in the shadows of the Canterbury cathedral (Gilgamesh and National Health) when it comes to my references. There and in Frank Zappa's world. But there is also a lot of standard jazz here. It seems like I am turning into a jazzhead in my old days because I am really enjoying this.

The keyboards and drums has been largely replaced with saxophones, trumpets, soft percussions, vibraphone and marimba. The solos are mostly by saxophones and there is also a lot of interesting details delivered by the other instruments too.

This album does not really reach the highest echelons in the quality stakes. But I find this album really enjoyable although the lack of some really great tracks is it's main shortcomings. But it is better than it's reputation and well worth checking out.

3 stars