Phideaux - Snowtorch CD (album) cover

SNOWTORCH

Phideaux

Starhammer
5 stars All the hallmarks of a modern classic...

For me, consistency and endurance are the most important attributes of a first class album. I always regard lopsided releases with one or two stand-out tracks as on par with those which lack mind melting moments, but are enjoyable from start to finish. I have lost count of the number of albums which have missed out on achieving masterpiece status, simply by feeling the need to pack a CD with as much music as it can physically hold. And it's perhaps somewhat ironic that before 'Snowtorch' I considered much of Phideaux's other work to be prime examples of this aforementioned 'crime'.

At just over 44 minutes 'Snowtorch' is fairly short by modern standards, but all this does it prove that concentrations of incredibly well written material will usurp longer, drawn-out works, almost without exception. From start to finish it just oozes class. It is, of course abundant with intricate textures and all the magical moments you would associate with any Phideaux release, but where it really excels is the arrangement of the compositions. I've always enjoyed listening to Phideaux's music, but in terms of game changing musical statements I consider his so called magnum opus 'Doomsday Afternoon' to achieve just under four stars, and its successor, 'Number Seven' to be somewhere in the region of three. I would never have dreamed that any album of his would reach the dizzying heights of five stars, so this is praise indeed.

Phideaux's 2011 release was supposed to be a successor to the concept album 'Number Seven', namely '7' but that was put on the back burner and 'Snowtorch' was released instead. I remember listening to it quite early in the year and loving it, but decided to let it simmer for a while before reviewing it. After all, there was a whole host of albums scheduled for release later in the year, some from my very favourite bands. Those albums have since come and gone, but 'Snowtorch' remains. It has stood the test of time and remains my favourite record of the year so far. It really is an absolute feast that I would recommend to just about everyone who has any real interest in music.

The Verdict: 7 out of 7.