Jean-Luc Ponty - Enigmatic Ocean CD (album) cover

ENIGMATIC OCEAN

Jean-Luc Ponty

librarywebbienospam
5 stars A stunning, gripping instrumental masterpiece. Much of this, I suspect, is due to the chemistry of the musicians in the band, particularly the presence of Allan Holdsworth. However, the other musicians give exceptional performances to match. It's really in the prog tradition as much as a jazz rock album, but is a standout whichever way you look at it. The only thing is that there is a lot of soloing, but it is very good indeed. I have heard other albums by this artist that were released during this period (1970s), but this is the only one , to me, that really kicks musical ass.

The original LP's sound was a little thin, and benefited from being played on (very)high quality equipment. Hopefully the CD reissue has sorted this one out- I have not heard it. Despite this reservation, I feel it truly deserves 5 stars.

| 5/5 |