Cynic - Traced In Air CD (album) cover

TRACED IN AIR

Cynic

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Starhammer
3 stars Integral Rebirth...

I first saw these guys supporting Opeth along with The Ocean back in 2008. I liked what I heard, and promptly decided to check out their début release, 'Focus'. I don't remember much about it other than it stayed in my music collection for about one day, the reason being that it scared me! Well not exactly, but I remember finding the combination of album art and album sound to be very unsettling. It might sound a bit ridiculous, it is a bit ridiculous, but music can be surprising sometimes.

I pretty much forgot about Cynic for a couple of years after the 'Focus' incident, but after reading the glowing reviews enjoyed by 'Traced in Air' I decided to revisit this artist. I'm not sure whether my taste in music has adapted that much or 'Traced in Air' is simply more accessible, but I do actually enjoy listening to it. The sound is quite unique, and has an almost ethereal quality to it. The album is very short by today's standards, at just over half an hour its the equivalent of a modern EP, but I think this is to its credit as I find tech-metal is best enjoyed in short, concentrated bursts.

The only thing that I don't enjoy about 'Traced in Air' is the vocals. The growls seem weak, and the autotuned clean sections can get a bit irritating after a while.

The Verdict: A solid release that is likely to receive polarised opinions, so certainly worth checking out for yourself.

Starhammer | 3/5 |