Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34  CD (album) cover

VOYAGE 34

Porcupine Tree

shyman
4 stars "Voyage 34" was the first composition which consisted in a set of extense (nearly 20 minutes) nearly instrumental pieces. Although, speaking of this kind of album, I prefer "The Sky Moves Sideways", here we also find an exquisite taste of spacy music. We find a kind of space trip, LSD influenced, which explores different possibilities in the creation of sound. Out of the four tracks (although the original only had two), in the first two, Wilson works with a recurrent guitar riff mixed with atmospheric and spacy melodies, creating a relaxing and estimulating atmosphere almost a decade prior to the rise of chillout music. In the third track, the emphasys is put on synthesizers, this done in an excellent manner. And in the final track, we find again narrative off-voices which introduce a more calm and classical instrumented piece, with less synthesizers.

So, this album is one of the first proofs of why Porcupine Tree are categorized in the Space/Psychedelic Rock genre. With this album, along with "The Sky Moves Sideways", you can go through a sweet psychedelic experience.

shyman | 4/5 |