Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR CD (album) cover

THE NEVER ENDING WAY OF ORWARRIOR

Orphaned Land

Experimental/Post Metal

Starhammer
3 stars The false prophet...

I generally try to avoid criticising artists too much that stick to same tried and tested formula. Whilst it's always nice to hear something different, such as the direction which the likes of Opeth and Pain of Salvation are taking at the moment, there is also a reason why you listen to a band in the first place, and so more of the same is generally no bad thing. However, after Orphaned Land released one of the best albums of the decade back in 2004, I really wondered where they would go next, as for me a lot of the enjoyment I got from 'Mabool: The Story of the Three Sons of Seven' came from how unique and refreshing the sound was.

'The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR' brings an almost identical blend of metal and middle eastern folk to the table, it might be ever so slightly heavier, but nothing obvious. Straight away this album has lost its impact (through no fault of its own) and must rely solely on outstanding songwriting. Unfortunately, its not quite there either. There are some really great tracks, especially towards the end, but there is also less memorable filler, something which 'Mabool' didn't even come close to. Like its predecessort 'The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR' is also a concept album, but it does not flow in the same way as 'Mabool', and is also a bit too long.

Standing back and pretending I had never heard 'Mabool', I still don't feel that 'The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR' does enough to make me want to explore this band further.

The Verdict: A class act in its own right, but I could easily live without it.

Starhammer | 3/5 |