Rush - Permanent Waves CD (album) cover

PERMANENT WAVES

Rush

toroddfuglesteg
5 stars Maybe familiarity breads contempt ? I don't know.

I have had this album for two decades now and have been listening to it on an irregular basis. Not much lately though. But I have decided to complete the Rush reviews now and put this album in the CD player just to refresh my memory.

I have always rated this album very highly. Since the last time I have listened to this album, I have found some Rush songs on Youtube I really love. Strangely enough, they all comes from this album. That's the likes of Natural Science, Entre Nous, Jacob's Ladder and Different Strings. I love those songs. This is very cleverly crafted songs which in my books is excellent prog rock. This album is mostly known for it's two more straight forward rockers The Spirit of Radio and Freewill. Those are in itself excellent songs.

Permanent Waves is the album that bridges their symph prog era (their previous four albums) with their upcoming more catchy song orientated era. The likes of Moving Pictures & co. For me, this is a perfect bridge with some excellent songs. A close to perfect album in my view and to my surprise. A close to five stars album, but still rounded up to five stars. And that is one star more than I remember this album as being.

5 stars