Accordo Dei Contrari - Kublai CD (album) cover

KUBLAI

Accordo Dei Contrari

BrufordFreak
3 stars This one is definitely more Canterbury-like than the more typical Avant/RIO that seems to be gushing out of AltrOck Productions. Long flowing, floating, forming, instrumental jams with a fairly small, straightforward jazz-oriented rock combo. My favorite part of the album is the riveting oud playing in the first half of "Arabesque" (7/10). Keyboards are very interesting, except I often found myself wishing they were a little more forward in the mix (as the guitar is). Though the voice and lyrical presentation of Richard Sinclair on "L'ombra di un sogno" (6/10) is familiar and comforting, it seems to come from an age long past--one that doesn't necessarily want to be resurrected. Not my favorite kind of guitar and key sounds. "Battery Park" (8/10), with its simplicity and pleasant melodies (and full use of acoustic piano), is far and away my favorite song. Great jazz piano work.

IMO, this is fairly standard--though high quality--Canterbury jazz rock. Nothing to write home about. Heard a lot of this in the 1970s. Good, but non-essential.

BrufordFreak | 3/5 |