Factor Burzaco - Factor Burzaco II CD (album) cover

Factor Burzaco

4 stars A surprising and sometimes unsettling listening experience from an avant group that definitely pushes boundaries in its employment of odd, theatric vocals over fairly simple, almost minimalistic folk/tango musical constructs. Experimental music at its oddest. Think of UNIVERS Z╔RO writing and performing a Allan Ginsberg or other Beat poet's work on a small, smoky stage, black and white the only colors under stage light. Female vocalist, Restuccia Carolina, most often sounds like BJÍRK singing in a Japanese Noh. Interesting but not a familiar or comfortable style (at least to these untrained, Western, ears). Fascinating, mesmerizing music that needs many listens to truly come to terms with. Do I like it? I'm still not sure. Ask me after another 20 listens. I would, however, recommend this album for the brave and open-hearted listener--one who likes to explore new, unfamiliar, and unusual musics. Like UneXpect, I very much respect and am in awe of these composers and performers.
BrufordFreak | 4/5 |