Rush - Hold Your Fire CD (album) cover

4 stars What do we label this album as ? Intelligent rock, art rock or prog rock ?

Hold Your Fire was my first ever Rush album (bought in 1987) and one I have played a lot. I became a fan of the band there and then. I am still a big Rush fan and buys far too many Rush albums. A bad habit, really.

But back to this album. The music here is very melodic and catchy. Too catchy for my liking. But the music is also very cleverly put together and delivered. This album is full with small, quirky details. The good things about this albums is in the small details this album throws up. Yes, it has too much of this nasty 1980s sound. But this album is a surprisingly good album. OK, it also changed my life. But it is still a great album on it's own. As per usual with albums from this synth period, it is the forgotten tracks which is the jewels here. Tracks like Second Nature, The Mission and the two closing songs Tai Shan and High Water. The rest of the album is also great, but those four tracks is the stand out tracks here on a great album.

4 stars