Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII CD (album) cover

THE SIX WIVES OF HENRY VIII

Rick Wakeman

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
5 stars I haven't heard all of Rick Wakeman's 17,243 albums to date (I doubt anyone has, including Rick himself), but I think I've heard enough of them to boldly state that this, only his second solo album, is still easily his best. In the ever ongoing Emersion vs. Wakeman debate, this album is where those in the Wakeman camp should point if they are looking for credible proof of their hero's superiority. Emerson may be the better showman, but he never came close to producing an album as great as this one.

Each piece showcases Wakeman's skills on the keys, whether he is playing bachlike classical, honky tonk, or rock. And his compositions are all complex and interesting, not just simple vehicles for flashy solos. He has quite a few guest musicians along for the ride, including four from the ranks of Yes, but no one outshines the keyboards on this gem.

Evolver | 5/5 |