Tony Banks - A Curious Feeling CD (album) cover

A CURIOUS FEELING

Tony Banks

Theo Verstrael
4 stars I am a bit amazed about the mixed reactions to 'A curious feeling'. Maybe I like this album so very, very much because it was my first TB album and definitely the first solo- album by a Genesis member I owned. But how I looved it! From the very beginning, with Tony's mysterious electric piano and string ensemble, it sets the sphere of a beautiful record, full of ballads, haunting keyboard chords, melancholic instrumentals (listen to The waters of Lethe!!!) and some, but luckily not too many up-tempo songs. On this album the vocals are sung by Kim Beacon and that certainly adds to the quality of the songs. His distinctive voice fits very well with the atmospheric melodies of the keyboards and the acoustic guitar. Beacon never dominates, sounds like another instrument in the band. Excellent! And so far better than Tony singing his own songs!!

Real prize winners to me are Lucky me, Forever morning, You and, most and for all, The waters of Lethe. In fact the last song is more than enough reason to the purchase the album. Yet I donīt grant it a 5/star and that is because of the title track. It is one of the up/tempo songs and it is far from succesful. The scream at the beginning of the song actually sets the scene+ just skip it in yoyr player and enjoy the rest!

Theo Verstrael | 4/5 |