Twelfth Night - Fact And Fiction  CD (album) cover

FACT AND FICTION

Twelfth Night

Warthur
3 stars Twelfth Night's first studio LP saw Geoff Mann take on the lead singer's spot and showcased the band's intriguing combination of prog rock compositional approaches and New Wave- influenced performances to create an intriguing sound. Unfortunately, Geoff Mann's rather overbearing style as a frontman means that this is a bit of a love-it-or-hate-it album. His singing voice is rather average and his delivery tends towards the hectoring and didactic, particularly on tracks such as Fact and Fiction, We Are Sane, Creepshow, or Love Song - all cited by fans as being particular classics in the Twelfth Night catalogue. I'd love to enjoy the music on here, but unfortunately on many of the songs I feel like I'm being lectured to by Mann, so as a result I don't give this one as many spins as other early neo-prog releases - including the band's own Live at the Target, which is blessedly all-instrumental.
Warthur | 3/5 |

Share this TWELFTH NIGHT review

Other sites in the MAC network: JazzMusicArchives.com — jazz music reviews and archives | MetalMusicArchives.com — metal music revuew and archives