Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings CD (album) cover

Steve Hackett

4 stars After a disappointing "Please Don't Touch", I had to re-listen Hackett's follow-up album which, according to the PA reviews, is a highly praised effort.

It is really much more consistent album, and apart from a filler "The Ballad Of The Decomposing Man" containing some really unnecessary samba/circus nonsense, "Spectral Morning" is a fine, melodic, pleasant and nicely performed work done in a "symphonic" style and sometimes, like in the opener "Every Day", evokes classic YES or GENESIS feel. Steve's guitar is of course the main star here, but all the backing band provides a strong performance.

My favorites are a fine acoustic, slow tempo work of "The Virgin and the Gypsy" and the following instrumental "The Red Flower of Tachai Blooms Everywhere" where Hackett demonstrates his koto skills, along with dark and furious heavy riffs of "Tigermoth" and the closing excellent title track.

Still, the overall sensation is slightly too soft and pedestrian for my taste. I usually demand more challenging and aggressive/experimental attitudes, besides nice melodies and fine arrangements. Therefore, despite all of its qualities, I cannot assign maximum number of stars to this album.

Seyo | 4/5 |