Frank Zappa - We're Only In It For The Money CD (album) cover

WE'RE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

Dobermensch
3 stars I always knew i was listening to the wrong Zappa albums. Boredom mixed with annoyance was my general opinion of just about all the albums I'd heard by him.

Fortunately I found this 39 years after it's original release and it has pleased me no end with it's oddball almost 'Nurse With Wound' cut ups.

There's that weird octave vocal shift that Bowie used on 'Bewlay Brothers' in '71 on some of the vocals which creates a surreal atmosphere. It's a short album which chops and changes very quickly in a disorientating way - almost like 'Trout Mask' by Beefheart. This is a more friendly listen than that album though.

There's a lot of pre-historic tape manipulation prevalent throughout which adds to the uniqueness of what was, basically, a commercial album at the time. Simplistic but crazy lyrics in the form of the 'Residents' make this a very entertaining listen indeed.

Apparently cut to ribbons by censors due to the language used, we're left with a non sweary but double entendre galore album that should please most folk who like the strangeness of Floyd's first album and early 'Residents'

Dobermensch | 3/5 |