Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory CD (album) cover

METROPOLIS PART 2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY

Dream Theater

ianj1234
4 stars Dream Theater is one of the pioneering bands of Progressive Metal, and is critically acclaimed to be one of the greatest of the prog metal scene, and this album will show you exactly why, this album was sort of a surprise to me personally, I never read any reviews when I got this album, I didn't know if this album was bad or good, I listened to Six Degrees prior, (once again without reading any reviews,) And thought it was amazing, and I hold both that album, and this one close to me personally, for the memory of the discovery of this genre.

1. Regression: 9/10, This is an awesome track, and start of the album, cause it tells you that you will be getting more than just a metal album, this track is like opening a door to a deep and dark story.

2. Overture 1928: 10/10, Here we have one of my favorite Instrumentals by Dream Theater (and probably one of my favorite instrumentals of all time.) Dream Theater just like Rush, has a knack at making terrific instrumentals, and the first time I heard this song, my jaw was open the whole time.

3. Strange Deja Vu: 10/10, Awesome Song!! This song has nothing but riffs that will get stuck in your head and you'll fall in love with, the riffs don't feel forced and flows nicely, (unlike some of there newer stuff,) and there's a rock riff in the middle to tell you that this is more than a metal album, and Labrie sings rock style, which I think is alot better than his regular operatic metal style, spectacular song!!

4. Through My Words: 8/10, I know I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but I have absolutely no idea what this album is about, I have read the lyrics over and over, and listened to this album over and over and I just have no idea what it's about, I usually don't care for when Dream Theater makes soft songs for I find them kind of cheesy (besides Wait For Sleep,) but it's nice and flows well with the album.

5. Fatal Tragedy: 8.5/10, Not as good as strange Deja Vu, but still fantastic once again with riffs flying all around you, with one of the coolest solo section on the album, hear Petrucci's guitar and drool, and all the solo's are part of the songs melody and doesn't sound random or out of place (unlike every single solo that has been made in later years by them.) Terrific Song.

6. Beyond This Life: 7.5/10, Ehhh, this one is still great, but once again not quiet as good, in one small section, Labrie sings rock style again and it's terrific, I guess some singers are better off singing different styles, I wish he would sing rock style alot more. There's also a keyboard solo here that is great.

7. Through Her Eye's: 6.5/10 ehhhhhh, ok, these are the kind of songs im talking about, I just find that when Dream Theater goes soft, they just sound cheesy im sorry, the song it's self isn't particularly bad, I just find it kind of cheesy, I guess it is not that bad of a song though, and it does flow nicely, it isn't too long, and is a nice breather after Beyond This Life.

8. Home: 7/10 This song is fantastic, very proggy, and oh god........... That bass line........ I love that riff so much, it is just so awesome, very cool song as it goes through many different sections, and there's a solo section in the middle that is amazing, one complaint I have though is that it is a little bit too long, it doesn't flow quiet as well as the other songs, and I dislike Labrie's singing a little bit more on this song, a little bit whiny at times.

9. The Dance Of Eternity: 9.5/10 Hahahahaha, YES!!!!!!!!! Here is yet another favorite instrumental of mine, 2 on one album, that alone should tell you this album is spectacular, there is a funny little honky tonk style piano solo in the middle that is amazing, and funny to listen too, my only little complaint is that the song sort of ends blandly if you ask me, but still a great one and a must listen.

10. One Last Time: 9/10 This song is great, I love the chorus, and the verses expresses a sort of confused and helpless feeling, and the solo section of this song is just absolutely, outstandingly, awesome.

11. The Spirit Carries On: 6/10 Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh, OK this is one of my least favorite song on this album I think, it is a little bit too long once again, and once again again, whenever Dream Theater goes soft, it's just cheesy im sorry, Wait Till Sleep was probably one of the only soft Dream Theater songs that I think is fantastic, this one is just meh to me, has a cool guitar solo though, and the ending is nice and sort of has a big feeling to it.

12. Finally Free: 4/10 Well I think the song is amazing to listen too, there are very haunting sections that will dive into you, this is probably the second darkest song, strange Deja Vu being the first probably, however the reason I rate it so low is because there are many things in this song that I don't like, The ending to this song is so unforgivably cheesy I can't even listen too it each time I listen to this song, yeah, it's that bad, and it's a shame too, I mentioned that I have no idea what this album is about, and yes, I have listened to this album several times, and read the lyrics several times, I just don't know, and the "Wake up Nicholas, Wha?!" Record player farting and stopping, felt like a f*ck you to me, im sorry if im being offensive, but this has got to be the dumbest endings to a CD I have ever heard in my life, but I liked the rest of the song, very much, I found the riff that ends to the car in the end was haunting, Good song, but the ending was terrible.

This was a very hard album to rate, I thought the ending was so stupid, but I thought the rest was very enjoyable, and at times, fantastic!!! Some suggest this to be there best album, that is very debatable, but unfortunately, due to confusion as to what the heck this album is about, and the stupidity of the ending, I will drop a star from 5, and I'll rate it 4. Although I have been ranting alot about it, this album still owns a place in my heart, and has some of the greatest moments in Dream Theaters archive, and if you want to start listening to Dream Theater, you cannot miss this album, Highly recommended!!!! (Besides The ending.)

ianj1234 | 4/5 |