Hatfield And The North - Hatfield and the North Live T.V. 1990 CD (album) cover

Hatfield And The North

Canterbury Scene

3 stars One of the Live 1990 albums from British TV. The Caravan live 1990 is the other notable album from this series too.

Hatfield And The North only released two studio albums. After their was disbanded, three compilations of leftovers and this album was released. The setup here, in 1990, is Phil Miller on guitar Pip Pyle on drums, Richard Sinclair on bass & vocals + the jazz musician Sophia Domancich on keyboards. Sophia is the key here on an album that really does not feel like a Hatfield and the North live album. If you love the two studio albums, this live album will not really overjoy you. Hatfield and the North was always threading the knifedge between avant garde, jazz and rock. In short; they were a Canterbury scene band. On this album, they are falling into the jazz genre and that big time. Sophia is the culprit, I am afraid. Why one of her own compositions get a big part of this album on a Hatfield and the North album is beyond me. In short; this is not really a Hatfield and the North live album.

When that is said, the music in it's own right is really good. The opener Share It is great. The rest is good stuff and I really like the jazz Sophia and Hatfield and the North gives us here. There are some not so good stuff too. But I still likes the music on it's own terms. Let's hope that some archeology excavations will dig up a couple of proper Hatfield & The North live tapes which will be issued as live albums. Just to give this band the credit it deserves.

3 stars