Rush - Rush - In Rio CD (album) cover

RUSH - IN RIO

Rush

Starhammer
5 stars "...And I'm Stan Getz!"

This was recorded on the band's Vapor Trails tour in front of a 40,000 strong crowd at the Maracană Stadium. The DVD was my first first taste of Rush live, but even now having heard everything from Exit...Stage Left to Time Machine: Live in Cleveland, Rush in Rio remains my favourite. It has all the concert regulars you would expect; The Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, YYZ etc... as well as some other gems; The Big Money, Distant Early Warning and The Pass. Even some tracks that I'd never previously had much time for come to life on the stage. A great example is Driven with its pounding bass solo.

The encore is nothing short of brilliant, and whilst Geddy's vocals start to show some signs of fatigue, they are still commendable considering the length of the concert. Overall my favourite moments are the skittish breakdown > reprise transition of La Villa Strangiato, and the drum solo, O Baterista. Whilst it might not have the same variation or technicality of later outings, the pure energy makes it my favourite.

The thing I really wanted to talk about though was the production. I read a lot of reviews criticizing the sound levels of the audience, claiming it distracts from the music. I could not disagree more and actually think the extra atmosphere it brings makes this the quintessential Rush experience.

The Verdict: If you want a clean cut Rush recording then listen to Different Stages, but I still prefer Rush in Rio.

Starhammer | 5/5 |