Cynic - Carbon-Based Anatomy CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

3 stars A legendary band and I still remember the release of their Focus album very well. I cannot remember the music though. Maybe a good idea to dig it out from a box down in the dungeons of my castle.

While Focus was metal (?), this, their brand new EP, is not particular metal. It sounds like a mix of metal and post rock. In particular post rock and shoegaze. It feels like one of these I am alive and suffering so much because my local 7-11 shop does not donate their money to hungry children in Africa bands. The type of bands which is two generations too young for me. Mentally, at least. It is hard to fathom that ex Death musicians has released this album. An album that even includes some Asia folk music stuff and with a couple of references to Gong too. Make that Mother Gong, btw.

Cynic is not Messiah. They are just three naughty boys with altogether 3/4 of a century experience as musicians. This is a good EP, but nothing more. It wins on it's excellent musicianship, but not much else.

toroddfuglesteg | 3/5 |