Atoll - L'Araignée-Mal CD (album) cover

4 stars The second album from Atoll. And a pretty big break with the debut album too. Chris Beya is in and I refer to the Atoll interview with him for his views on Atoll.

I have now become side tracked so let me get back on track again.

Out is the pure Genesis rip offs and in is a blend of French symph prog (Ange) and Mahavishnu Orchestra'esque like prog rock. There is also some strong King Crimson and Magma elements on this album. The music is complex as in a blend of symph, eclectic and jazz. But there is also some pastoral bits here. The use of violin is a dominant force here. So is the keyboards and there is also some guitars here. The vocals are very good btw.

I would label this album as a symphonic eclectic fusion album. Or as a French prog rock album. The French scene is not like any other scenes and they do their own things. Something I really appreciate. What we ends up with in L'Araignée-Mal is a great album with great songs and musicianship and a lot of intricate details.

L'Araignée-Mal is one of those many great French prog rock albums well worth checking out.

4 stars