The Church - Magician Among The Spirits CD (album) cover

The Church

3 stars It is true that, as I have seen in some reviews (not only in this site), out of the albums "Priest=Aura", "Sometime Anywhere", this one and "Hologram of Baal", probably this one was the less inspired one and probably one of the most irregular ones. However it is still a good album that most fans of the band would enjoy.

Again, there are some irregularities in terms of quality in this record. We have gems like "Afterimage", a truly beautiful piano composition, "Ladyboy", a classic Kilbey's composition, a beautiful instrumental like "Romany Caravan", continuing in some sense with the exotic tendencies present in the previous album. "Further adventures of the time being", "Ritz" and "Grandiose" are a bit weaker songs, but still quite enjoyable, still remembering us that, at this stage, even with a certain lack of inspiration, something good can come out. But, there are songs where this is not so clear and in fact, probably, they should have been taken apart, because they make what could have been a beautiful album something not so beautiful. I'm talking about songs like "Welcome" (the worst intro song I've heard of The Church) or "Magician Among the Spirits", a quite dull song in my opinion.

Probably this album meant the end of an era and that is something always difficult, not only with this band, but with most of them, and that's why in some sensde, although being a good album, this one doesn't seem to be so fortunate as the other nineties albums of The Church.

shyman | 3/5 |