Pierrot Lunaire - Gudrun CD (album) cover

GUDRUN

Pierrot Lunaire

Prog Folk

Dobermensch
3 stars An easy listen as far as 'out there' experimental 1970's bands go. This appeared on the 'Nurse With Wound List' in 1980 and is the sole the reason I discovered this album.

'Gudrun' has some commendable high points that are nullified by other parts (like track 3: 'Sonde in Profonditá') that are instantly forgettable. This is a real hit and miss affair. Track 4 is a real cracker in the form of 'Giovane Madre' which sounds more 60's psychedelia than '76 prog.

Jacqueline Darby's unfeasibly high pitched operatic vocals appear and dissipate throughout, but somehow, they gel the whole album together. I always get confused and annoyed by the time 'Plairis D'Amour' appears, where that rubbish UB40 cover 'Can't help falling in Love' rears it's ugly head, but is sung in an Edith Piaf style that confuses the hell out of me. It leaves me not knowing whether I like this album or not.

An accessible and vaguely tuneful experimental Italian album that just borders the fringes of Prog. I just can't imagine it being anybody's favourite album of all time.

Dobermensch | 3/5 |