Mythos - Dreamlab CD (album) cover

DREAMLAB

Mythos

Krautrock

Dobermensch
3 stars Opening like Floyd's 'Pompeii' dvd I thought I was in for a treat during my first listen of this at the top of a mountain in Scotland in 1999. Unfortunately, this, more than any of their other albums is crucified by the voice of Stephan Kaske. Jeez! if only he'd sung in German this album would have much more credibility... My biggest gripe with Kraut bands is the fact that they (more or less) didn't use their own language.

Listen to 'Dreamlab' to discover how bad lyrics can translate into English. It's SO corny you wouldn't believe it. Pigeon English is used throughout where half the words are undefinable and if so, are laughable.

Not that I would denigrate Stephan Kaske's flute playing. That's what made Mythos what they were... A good, solid, lesser well known Kraut band who had a bunch of great ideas in their heads, but stupidly, in my opinion, decided to sing in English in an attempt at commercial glory.

It's not like anyone over here has even heard of them. I could ask 300 people - "who were 'Mythos" and guaranteed - I'd get blank stares all round. I don't care... I think they're great - just gonna sack that voice Mr Kaske!

This is not a masterpiece in any way shape or form, but is an album I'm happy to listen to. It's all basically moments of excellence interspersed with periods of embarrassment.

Dobermensch | 3/5 |