Zero Hour - Metamorphosis CD (album) cover

METAMORPHOSIS

Zero Hour

King of Loss
3 stars This is the rerelease of the American progressive Heavy Metal band of Zero Hour's first and debut album with 4 extra tracks. The production has improved on this album and with the 4 extra tracks, there is more music, about 53 minutes of it.

Here is my song by song analysis of this album:

1. Eyes of Denial (4:42) - An ok opener, kinda generic, but ok. The song doesn't impress me, but is ok nevertheless. 3/5

2. The System Remains (7:22)- Probably my favorite Zero Hour song of all time. The combination of technicality, brutality and emotions make this mindblowing and parts of it are almost at breakneck speed. Great song. 5/5

3. *Rebirth (Bonus Track) (5:49)- Another one of these songs, ok, but not great 3/5

4. Voice of Reason (8:40)- This song fails to impress me, with its boring technical themes, un-emotional shredding. 2/5

5. *A Passage (Instrumental) (Bonus Track) (2:25)- A short instrumental based totally on technicality, what more can I give it? 2/5 6. Metamorphosis - One of the best Epics in Prog Metal. Filled with technicality and extreme rhythmns as compared to Dream Theater's structured attack to Symphony X's Symphonic Neo-Classical approach. Think This Dying Soul with Dream Theater, but much more technical and not quite as heavy.

7. *Eyes of Denial (Demo Version) (3:57) - I can't say I like the song or the demo, but the song is surely better 2/5 8. *Jaded Eyes (Instrumental) (Demo) (3:29)- A mindblowing instrumental, but with demo quality...... 3/5

This is a good disc. Not that great and not that bad. Overall its a good, solid 3.5 album. Highly recommended for fans of Dream Theater, Spiral Architect, Shadow Gallery.

King of Loss | 3/5 |