Osanna - Milano Calibro 9 CD (album) cover

MILANO CALIBRO 9

Osanna

Rock Progressivo Italiano

Lieven Van Paemel
4 stars First of all... the album is far too short!!!

I first heard this album in the mid 1970s when I had rented it from the library/discotheque in Brugge. I immediately loved the album and taped it. The mixture of Jethro Tull, Gong (Continental Circus), Pink Floyd (More), the French composer Saint-Preux (Concerto pour une voix), The Academy of Saint- Martins in the Field with Neville Marinner and Alan Loveday on violin (Vivaldis The Four Seasons) and the fantastic sounding moog was a real revelation...

Unfortunately tapes wear out and I didn't remember the band nor the title. I just remembered about all the music. Reading the reviews on the "Vintageprog" website I came accross the album and thought... could it be??? It was!!! I checked the full version on Youtube and YES!!!

I must say that the flute is often a bit too obvious Tull sounding and the sax does sound like Didier Malherbe of Gong but the whole feel is a good progrock feel.

The final track "Canzone" may sound a bit soft hearing it back, but yet... it has such a fragile touch about it. The classical arrangements are great as well.

This has given me a great desire to purchase some of the 1970s vynil Italian Prog and I am well on my way having found great copies of PMF, Le Orme, Latte e Miele etc. A pity I didn't know all these bands back then. They are so superior to the average British bands.

This album was one of those moments of discovery and I really find it a little masterpiece.

Did I mention the album is far TOO short ;-)

Lieven Van Paemel | 4/5 |