The Residents - Commercial Album CD (album) cover

The Residents

Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin / JRF Team
4 stars I think if you want to get into RESIDENTS this is the album to start with, everything else just overwhelmed me with weirdness of this music. If it were always music, sometimes I can't describe what it is that I was listening.

The 40 one minute songs format is very friendly I think, and enough to explore interesting musical ideas which for a change are not always the in the usual dark mood, but they can get quite light and catchy. "Moisture" is an absolute favorite, and a classic if RESIDENTS ever had one to call it that, with a nice guitar solo by Snakefingers in the middle, it's catchy in a weird way despite being about a dead woman with moisture on her skin. "Amber" as well, it's an melodic song with female vocals, and it's beautiful, there isn't some acquired taste to go through to appreciate this one. "La La" is also an upbeat song.

Sure there are plenty of unsettling stuff as well, "Medicine Man" has a particularly creepy video but even the dark themed "Perfect Love" and "Act Of Being Polite" are as friendly as the RESIDENTS get to the average non-fans. At times when you're bored with music that makes sense and feel adventurous, get into the "Commercial Album" for a wild ride.

historian9 | 4/5 |