Conrad Schnitzler - Zug CD (album) cover

ZUG

Conrad Schnitzler

Progressive Electronic

colorofmoney91
4 stars Zug is one of Conrad Schnitzler's most compelling works and definitely one of the most completely interesting pieces I've heard from this master. Compared to Gelb or Rot, this album is considerably darker and more abstract in an almost creepy way.

Zug mainly pedals along with a continuous hypnotic pulsing that is similar to an electronic rendering of a train riding along its tracks, never attempting at all to slow down from such dangerously high speed. Flowing atop this pre-industrial pulsing and clicking are Conrad's analog synth sounds ebbing and flowing from far off to the forefront of the soundscape, changing from ethereal soaring to punchy direct synth attacking, Zug is always displaying dynamism to keep the listener's attention from disappearing into the organic hypnotic grinding.

Zug personally kind of reminds me of Bernard Parmegiani's L'oeil Ecoute (especially the first movement) except much more active and hypnotizing.

Explaining music like Zug is a bit difficult, so I feel forced to leave my above description as it is and hope readers understand the gist of this recording, but I'm sure upon actually listening to this album then the intensity and ingenuity of this album become more understandable.

colorofmoney91 | 4/5 |