Neal Morse - Testimony 2 CD (album) cover

TESTIMONY 2

Neal Morse

ingmin68
5 stars Testimonial to a big man of modern music. Well, I wanted to stop my long delightful Neil Morse's musical experience with "Sola Scriptura", because I thought "what else could I have from this guy, given also his great Transatlantic output?". And, then, this "Testimony 2" came out. The title was already flashing an alert on me, and I stayed away from it, for many months. Then, the many good reviews on PA really pulled me out from my initial intentions. I gave Neil another proof of faith (eh eh). And, my friends, he delivered once more. And how enjoyable this work is! Yes, it's music already heard, as a whole: but with enough new twists and melodies, and hooking motifs that I have been so impressed, and wishing to forgive him about the unoriginal album title. You get everything you may ever desire from a Symphonic record. Tearjerking melodies and lyrics ("Jayda", "Jesus bring me home"), slightly heavier and fast paced compelling blues-oriented songs ("Time has come today", "Chance of a lifetime, Road dog blues"), rockers ("Nightime collector"); The two acts pf "Mercy Street" in pure uplifting Neil Morse style; and the great, multifaceted "Time changer"; and "Supernatural" gets its name by its flat-out unearthly beauty. And then, what, after all of this? A 26 minutes epic, with an all-you-can-hear menu on it, astonishing. Setbacks? I'm skipping "Absolute Beginner" as a dull straight pop tune.

Final Judgement: 9/10, missing "10" just because it's not breaking through new music. But if this is your first exposure to Neil Morse, you couldn't escape labeling this a masterpiece. And my 5 stars rounding-up is to say thanks to such a talented man. One of my Top 3 albums of 2011 (together with Steven Wilson's and Haken's ones).

ingmin68 | 5/5 |