Koenjihyakkei - Angherr Shisspa CD (album) cover

ANGHERR SHISSPA

Koenjihyakkei

Zeuhl

Canterzeuhl
4 stars 3.5/5 - An uncompromising, brilliant piece of work, but only consumable in small doses.

This album is insane. Pretty much from the first few suspenseful notes on 'Tziidall Raszhisst' you sense you're in for a bit of an ear-bashing. Koenjihyakkei's style of eclectic musicianship really is a wonder to behold and if they're as good on stage really they'd be the best band in the world, and this album is a testament to how good they are at playing. The relentless noise, perfect musicianship and sophisticated rhythms constantly phasing in and out really stand out. And the vocals! Impossible to describe. Try to imagine a female soprano in a washing machine, that's the best analogy I can think of. Has to be heard to be believed.

The title track deserves a special mention as it seems to take the whole album to another level, raising the tempo of the album and really waking you up to what music can be! Should be played in schools and public forums (Although when I've tried it I've been overwhelmed by angry responses.)

However, it's brilliance at cornering this utterly mental end of the market is it's downfall for me. I find it too stressful to listen to the whole album from start to finish so I've mostly only heard it in a fragmented form. It's gone full circle. It's so good it's bad.

It's essential, but only in small doses.

3.5, rounded up because I'm nice.

Canterzeuhl | 4/5 |