Seven Side Diamond - Enigma CD (album) cover

ENIGMA

Seven Side Diamond

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
5 stars The one idea bandied about this site that bugs me the most is that prog rock that uses forms developed by the bands of the last half century (damn that makes me feel old) are not being "progressive". I disagree. And this beautiful album proves my point.

Seven Side Diamond masterfully takes influences from the classic seventies up through modern prog metal, and blends them into something quite familiar, while remaining fresh and original. This is not a clone band, although many of the references to the past are quite plain. The song Shine has more than a few lyrical nods to Yes (and at least one musical one), but the song is anything but a Yes imitation.

The focal point of the album is the thirteen part Enigma, that takes the listener on a long voyage through many progscapes. To my ears, this is the finest work of prog to come out this year.

The instrumentalists are all exceptional, and singer Diego Americo has a voice that fits perfectly in the gruff metal passages, and even sounds amazing when singing in Freddie Mercury-like ranges.

I must say that this band should be a force in prog's future.

Evolver | 5/5 |