Rush - Rush CD (album) cover

3 stars I say 3 stars for it as a rock album.

...or 1 star in the eyes of obstinate Prog puritans.

I don't have myself that far up myself's unmentionables when I refer to this album. I'm also not going to mention the obvious differences because it is beyond apparent. Much in the vain of other's who were (pardon the pun) finding their way, that is exactly what happened. The starting point. Everyone has them.

With the elementary lyrics, percussive "too loud" bass, bottomless vocals that Claudio Sanchez, Roger Hodgson, and Robert Plant are glad they don't have, I'm sure to think that The Guess Who, Mashmakan, BTO, and other sister acts are glad that they didn't have an ounce of influence on them. But all that belies what Rush really was with 1974's debut, a great rock band to slam beers to. Or bears... if they aren't listening to female country music or dance. Ouch.

With the prevalent cringe factors aside, and my personal fave "Take A Friend" treated as a separate entity, the album drips of the the post psychedelic/new hard rock avenues that were awaken with bands like Cream, Zep, Hendrix, Sabbath, and their "evolved" offspring like Budgie (brilliant), Fred Nuggant (sic), and other countless "merda" bands. This is how the album should be seen. Typical powerful guitars, driving rhythms, long, enjoyable and "featured" jams, boobs and beer lyrics, a ballad, and some very limited complexity thrown in. This is "No brainer" jam rock. I played in too many of these bands.

Does it stand up to Zep's "IV", Sabbath's "Master", or Uriah Heep's "Demons And Wizards? Yes!

How about Alphataurus' debut, Metamorfosi's "Inferno" or Gentle Giant's "Octopus"? Hell no.

I'm not afraid to "rock out".

Monsterbass74 | 3/5 |