Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief CD (album) cover

Fairport Convention

M. B. Zapelini
4 stars This wonderful album set the direction to England's folk rock movement at the early Seventies, and IMHO it's the best album Fairport ever made. Sandy Denny, Richard Thompson and Ashley "Tyger" Hutchings were on top form here, probably delivering the performances of their lives. Of course, Dave Mattacks, Simon Nicol and then guest Dave Swarbrick are all worth of note, but Denny, Thompson and Hutchings are geniuses. "Matty Groves" and "Tam Lin", the two epics, are the best tracks here, but all songs are good ("Reynardine" is Denny's greatest performance in my opinion). I do not have the 2002 CD reissue, so I don't know if the bonus tracks are good, but I like to recommend this album to any prog-rock fan which have interest in folk-rock. If this site were "Folkrockarchives" instead of "Progarchives", I would give it 5 stars.
M. B. Zapelini | 4/5 |