Yes - 90125 CD (album) cover

3 stars Not as crummy as you could pretend.

I'm wondering why people are so harsh about 90125 when Genesis, Jethro Tull and Emerson Lake and Palmer gave birth to so much turd in the 80's. I know the 80's were pretty rough and ingrate on the prog dinosaurs of the 70's, but from all the stuff from those bands 90125 is by far some of the best you can find (except for the King Crimson trilogy).

With it's exceptionnaly catchy riff, Owner of a Lonely Heart is not only one THE single of the 80's, but a very successful blend of pop and prog. Man, back in the dayz of '83, I didn't heard much complain towards this album. Guess there's a running gag about that album.

At last, Changes is to me one of the best songs to put on the mantlepiece with the other classics. It's a vibrant song, full of emotion but it's not putting aside the rock aspect. Anderson's voice has all the goodies that made my heart beat on And You And I for instance.

Of course it's not the best but far from the 1.5 stars and such. Come on man, search a bit in that era: in the same year you had IQ, Pendragon, Saga, Triumph and Marillion...not ALL classics and equal interest in my opinion.

So with it's superb production, enormous keyboard work and surprising catchyness, 90125 is not half bad!

Menswear | 3/5 |