Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes CD (album) cover

BABY SNAKES

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

transend
4 stars I dont review many CDs, but I was kind of shocked when I realized this album had no reviews AT ALL! Yeah, it IS a short, almost 'spin off' album of the movie that bares the same title, but I have to say that I feel all the songs on this album are much superior versions to the others available. The main reason to even pick this up is the version of 'Punkys' whips', which I think, is much, much better than the 'Live in New York' version (even though that is my fave Zappa album!). The guitar solo at the end is just amazing. The elaborate use of time changes and layered synths in this song make it almost 'mainstream prog'. Maybe that is why I love it so much.

As for the other songs, they are all good, but 'The black page' is the other stand out (for me). Check out the disk then see the movie and put the faces to the names!!!

transend | 4/5 |