Franco Battiato - L'Egitto Prima Delle Sabbie CD (album) cover

Franco Battiato

Rock Progressivo Italiano

octopus-4
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team
2 stars The most infamous and low rated album of Franco Battiato and his minimalist and experimental period consists in two instrumental tracks.

"L'Egitto Prima Delle Sabbie" (The Egypt Before the Sands) is the most minimalist thing tha one can imagine. Play some notes on a piano, always the same at irregular intervals and listen to the harmonics produced by your chord for a bunch of seconds, then repeat it for 14 minutes.

The B side, "Sud Afternoon" (strange title as "sud" means "south" in Italian) is a little different. At least the notes played are not the same of side A, the pauses are different as well and they play on the piano strings instead of on the keyboard. I know that Keith Emerson has done it sometimes, but in the time taken by the pianist to play one chord, in general Emerson has played about a hundred of notes.

Noticing that this is the shorter "track by track" review that I have written, but there's no much to say about this album, I think it can be rated as fans only. Honestly two stars seems to be too much, but it's possible that I'm unable to catch its hidden beauty, and I'm not joking because Battiato is a sort of genius and side B is not disturbing. Uninteresting and boring, but not disturbing. There are at least some variations that side A is totally missing.

For this reason I'm rounding up my rating: 2 stars instead of 1.

octopus-4 | 2/5 |