Cary Grace - Constant Things CD (album) cover

Cary Grace

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Rivertree
Psych/Space Team & Band Submissions
3 stars Featuring twittering synths, psychedelic guitars and celestial vocals Cary Grace appears in a reliable manner again with her unique cosmic singer-songwriter approach. 'Constant Things' sounds like a retrospective view in some way. This time presented with an instrumental outfit, at least the song Vanishing saw the light of day some years ago already. So overall I would not be surprised if all the tracks are leftovers deriving from previous recording sessions.

Well, taking my personal taste as a starting point I would like to mention the jamming parts of the album, to name the extended instrumental Nightfall first and foremost, the band acts in best space rock tradition, the album's highlight if you ask me. And now it's time to point to something new, besides the cool synths Cary also cares for some smooth keyboard adds here, sounding close to Rhodes piano .. ahhh ... and two guest guitarists are helping to provide a lush sound.

The opener Pilot and The Twilight Sea both attract attention due to her ethereal voice - chirping birds and sparkling water are additions to Mountain Song - this one is evidently close to a typical singer-songwriter appeal. Finnish artist Eetu Pellonpää has provided some nice psychedelic artwork for the album - reduced on the black and white contrast with intent, I'm sure, and especially corresponding to this song.

All in all 'Constant Things' can't knock my socks off like it happened when listening to the album 'Perpetual Motion' or the fantastic 'Green Carot Jam' which are heavier on improvisation. However, comprising one gem at least this is a fine production nevertheless, You should know ... Cary Grace has way more to offer than acoustic guitar and some chords. I warmly recommend to check out her music ... and bet you won't regret!

Rivertree | 3/5 |