Gentle Giant - In A Glass House CD (album) cover

Gentle Giant

5 stars I recall back in 2003 when my music teacher introduced me to this band for the first time, and this was my first taste of them. The wonderful guitar riff after the quirky glass breaking intro to "The Runaway" instantly stroke me as some of the best music I've heard so far, and to this date it still is my personal favorite GG song. This one was a change from their 'Octopus' opus in 1972 and introduced the band to a darker, more rock solid sound while not missing the adventurous stylistics from before. The strictly tuned percussion composed "An Inmates Lullaby" is a prime example on this, echoing the 'Acquiring the Taste' days very much and standing as one of the most original songs ever written. The rest of the album follows the same formula as the opening track with dynamic elements of both medevial and heavy progressive rock (save the beautiful folk tingled interlude "A Reunion"), each with a different personality and mood certainly paving the way for albums such as 'Free Hand' later on.

Gentle Giant kept experimenting with each release and this is definitely one of their very best offerings. This one, Octopus and Power & the Glory are my favorites by GG, but this is probably the best one to start with (besides the excellent Free Hand). Great stuff!

Bj-1 | 5/5 |