Rush - Permanent Waves CD (album) cover

PERMANENT WAVES

Rush

Vaz
4 stars "Still we saw the magic was fading every year"

This is the final album of Rush's classic period and, in my view, their weakest.That said, it is a deal superior to its over-hyped successor, Moving Pictures. Apart from the first two tracks, which I'm not overly keen on, the album is a thoroughly enjoyable experience. So for the first 10 minutes I'm a bit, "Ok, what's next?" but then I'm in near heaven. 25 minutes out of 35 aint half bad, as relatively weak albums go.

No prizes for guessing that the reason I don't care much for the first two is that they are clipped down, unashamedly commercial efforts by a band eager to broaden their appeal in the world of pop rock. Nevertheless, as clipped down, unashamedly commercial efforts by a band eager to broaden their appeal in the world of pop rock go - they're very good.

Spirit of Radio is incredibly annoying when you think of the reasons it was created. This was the beginning of the end of the honesty of a band which had rejected the pursuit of fame for its own sake; a band content to thrill its loyal fans with epic tales of wizardry and magic. Nevertheless it is a masterpiece of musicianship for all that. The same goes for Freewill.

Like most bands which have been around a long time, Rush get better, musically and technically, with every album; but equally, again like most of those bands, the magic - so prominent in the early years - quickly fades. You can feel it fading on Permanent Waves. In fact the magic had all but gone in Moving Pictures - gone completely after that one, never to return.

Vaz | 4/5 |