Pollen - Pollen CD (album) cover

POLLEN

Pollen

BrufordFreak
5 stars Why this album hasn't gotten more attention est une mystère misterioso. I can't figure. A wonderful collection of original music using familiar Genesis sounds from the Nursery Cryme-through-Selling England by the Pound period.

The opener, "Vieux Corps de vie d´Ange" (8/10) has quite a wonderful climax section?incredibly powerful singing.

"L'étoile" (9/10) has a very Genesis feel to it from the very start with its picked 12-strings and Hackett-like volume pedaled electric guitar notes. As the air turns more festive a Rhodes piano takes a turn at some simple solo. Then, at 2:25, for a brief time, full scale unleash of the Selling England by the Pound/Dark Side of the Moon effect. Beautiful song.

"L'indien" (7/10) is a more laid-back almost droning song from the HARMONIUM school of acoustic-based prog. Pretty; no complaints; probably would be more meaningful and impactful were I to try to listen to lyrics.

"Tout le temps" (8/10) has a little GENTLE GIANT feel and sound to it?though not so complex or sophisticated, just similar sounds. Love the dueling keyboards in the middle?harpsichord and organ! A little 'Harold the Barrel" feel there! Add horn-delay keyboard and you've got a little prog magic going on there!

"Vivre la mort" (8/10) starts out a little too much like a French "Get 'em Out by Friday" (a Genesis song that I've never really liked). Luckily, the song is saved by a simply marvelous second half instrumental section in which all players are adding to a rather YES-like electronic mayhem.

"La femme ailée" (10/10) begins very delicately with some classical guitar accompanying the breathy Kenny Loggins-like vocalist. Vocal harmonies and organ are added to great effect while the acoustic guitar continues to steal the show. Beautiful! Brilliant, delicate, multi-layered, complex "Cinema Show"-like song!

This album has grown on my greatly since I first heard it?to the point that I hold it right up there alongside?or above?Nursery Cryme and Voyage of the Acolyte?the two albums it most reminds me of. This is a masterpiece of prog!

BrufordFreak | 5/5 |