Vangelis - Direct CD (album) cover

DIRECT

Vangelis

pirkka
2 stars This is my first aquaintance with this artist: Vangelis. First I must say that I sort of liked what I heard. Pleasent melodies and sounds. Nothing that would bother me. I kinda was looking forward to listen to this record. I have heard about Vangelis and seen that he is very productive and liked too, I guess. Me, my self, I am a bit older generation of progressive listeners who grew up with Genesis (when it was a prog band) and Yes and Moody Blues and Jethro Tull and Rare Bird and Strawbs... I felt it was a high time for me to listen to Vangelis!

As I said, the music was OK. But after a short time of listening a question raised: is this really progressive rock? I did listen the whole record before I gave me an answer: no. This most definetly is not progressive rock! The subgenre where Vangelis is placed is Progressive Electronic. Allright, I already feel more comfortable. This music don't have nothing to do with the good old progressive I used to listen. Then I compare this to Tangerine Dream and Kraftverk etc. And I ask: is this progressive? And, once again, I must answer: no. Well what is this then? I'll tell you. This is more sophisticated elevator muzic.

I should give this 3 stars but then it should read: Good, but non-progrelated. So I give 2 stars.

pirkka | 2/5 |