Yngwie Malmsteen - Rising Force CD (album) cover

RISING FORCE

Yngwie Malmsteen

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
3 stars It's great to see one of Sweden's biggest metal exports finally getting his well deserved mention on Prog Archives... may it be for better or worse!

There is really no denying that Yngwie Malmsteen has been a major influence on the progressive metal genre, even if most of his influence has been vicarious though bands like Dream Theater and most importantly Symphony X. But how much of his own work holds progressive qualities to it? The discography of this legendary guitarist is a very mixed one and after experiencing most of his releases first hand I can safely say that he never release a single excellent record. Still, that doesn't automatically mean that there aren't enough memorable moments spread out throughout his output.

Even if most of Yngwie's records range from mediocre to good but non-essential, it's great to know that his debut album Rising Force is actually considered somewhat of a classic in certain circles and is therefore a perfect starting point for any brave explorer willing to indulge themselves in this maverick of a guitarist. Classics like Black Star, Far Beyond The Sun and Evil Eye are all as vibrant as they'll ever get and have become big concert favorites over the years. The rest of the material might not be as essential, which is ultimately why it's difficult for me to give this release a higher rating, but it's all about my personal opinion of the '80s sound that is featured on this record.

I'm sure that the vocalist was doing his best, but I still can't help but chuckle whenever I hear Now Your Ships Are Burned. Reading the lyrics is an experience in itself! Please do yourself a favor. Pour yourself a glass of wine, sit down in a comfortable sofa with the lyric sheet in one hand and the wine glass in the other. Proceed by reading the lyrics out loud while sipping the wine. That's what I call a perfect way to end a Friday night!

Yngwie Malmsteen clearly had the ambition and skill to make his debut album a classic but, just like the rest of his career, this mighty record might have been enough to get him the attention of the Western audience in the golden years of metal music without actually pushing the envelope beyond the bare minimum.

***** star songs: Far Beyond The Sun (5:49) Evil Eye (5:12)

**** star songs: Black Star (4:51) Icarus' Dream Suite Op.4 (8:30) Farewell (0:48)

*** star songs: Now Your Ships Are Burned (4:09) As Above, So Below (4:36) Little Savage (5:21)

Rune2000 | 3/5 |