Guru Guru - UFO CD (album) cover

Guru Guru

4 stars Definitely a band that took THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE to heart. As a matter of fact, I think they may be the German (re-) incarnation of Jimi, Mitch, and Noel. (I know: Jimi wasn't dead yet when this was recorded.) Ax Genrich definitely likes to explore and max out the sounds he can get out of a guitar. Several times I'm reminded of on Terry Kath's playing on CHICAGO's debut album, Chicago Transit Authority?especially his "Free Form Guitar." But, more, I'm reminded of Hendrix and The Experience. (I kept expecting someone to sneak a vocal in there, "Are you experienced?")

Interesting and but not engaging enough to keep me wanting to come back (unless I were taking LSD). (I wonder how well they could replicate "UFO" in concert, or if was all improvised, 'free form' guitar. Perhaps this is where Eno and Genesis got the idea for "The Waiting Room.") 3.5 stars rated up for it's bold experimentalism and serious musicianship (this is no work of amateurs)?and for the record company's guts in publishing it!

BrufordFreak | 4/5 |