Pendragon - The Masquerade Overture CD (album) cover

THE MASQUERADE OVERTURE

Pendragon

Warthur
3 stars Having got back on the right track with The World, Pendragon spent the next few albums exploring the different dimensions of that particular album's sound. Whereas The Window of Life had a clear emphasis on the proggier, Pink Floyd-inspired aspects of that approach, The Masquerade Overture to my ears seems to lean on the poppier side of Pendragon's sound at the time. Not that we are dealing with anything as simplistic here as, say, the Red Shoes EP (which I consider to be the height of Pendragon's commercial pandering to the mainstream), but the vocal harmonies and comparatively simple musical backing to songs like As Good as Gold or the chorus of Guardian of My Soul makes it clear to me that the band were going for a collection of feel-good happy-clappy sing-along songs this time around.

If Pendragon playing in that particular style sounds like a good deal for you, then by all means give this album a try - you'll most likely love it - but for me it's a whole lot less compelling than the more contemplative Window of Life. That said, it does make me appreciate The World a bit more, because that album really did do a wonderful job of balancing so many different aspects of Pendragon's sound.

Warthur | 3/5 |